Recipe by www.bramleyapples.co.uk
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 15 minutes
- 1 slice wholemeal bread, chopped
- 450g lean pork or turkey mince
- 1tbsp fresh sage, chopped
- 1tsp each dried oregano and dried thyme
- 1tbsp beaten egg
- 2 medium Bramley apples
- A knob of butter
- 1tbsp each red wine vinegar and soft light brown sugar
- Put the bread in a food processor or blender and whiz to make breadcrumbs.
- Tip the breadcrumbs into a large bowl and add the pork, sage, dried herbs and beaten egg. Season well with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Cut one of the apples in half and set the other half aside. Peel and core it, then grate it and add to the bowl. Mix everything together well. Divide the mixture into four equal portions and shape into burgers.
- Preheat the oven to 200ºC (180ºC fan oven) gas mark 6.
- Peel and core the remaining apples, then chop and put in a pan with the butter, vinegar and sugar. Add 50ml cold water and simmer over a low heat until the apple has cooked down to a soft pulp.
- Heat the oil in a pan and fry the burgers over a medium low heat for 3-4min each side until golden. Transfer to a lipped baking sheet and cook for 10-15min until cooked all the way through.
- Put each of the burgers in bun with a couple of lettuce leaves, sliced tomato and red onion. Spoon the apple sauce on top and serve with potato wedges.
For more tasty apple treats, please visit www.bramleyapples.co.uk